Sunday, April 4, 2010

Sonoran Desert Museum

Later in the week we went to the Sonoran Desert Museum in Tucson. I made sure to put sunscreen on before I left this time. Christian wanted to visit the caves first. Mom, Christian, and I tried the steep route, while Dad stayed on the safe route. It was cool.
At the end Dad went up a little ways so we could take some pictures with him in them.
Christian and Mom are trying to get her camera to work and they had to bend over the small lights to even see the camera.
In the caves was a bat exhibit. These are what our ears would look like if we were bats. Boy could you hear the sounds!

Obviously, Christian did not want his picture taken. (Actually I made him take the picture twice.)
There were little animal statues all over the museum. Here is Mom posing with an owl.
Dad had to take a break while Mom went back tot he car to get him a snack. He needed to eat about every hour or he ended up exhausted. Christian tried his hand at drawing a cactus. He did pretty good with it...then he turned it into a pineapple :)
This is a teddy bear cactus. I had to take a picture of it since the Kindergarteners, first graders, and I were wondering what a teddy bear cactus would look like when I was reading G is for Grand Canyon to them.
An otter. One of my favorite animals :) I remember learning how to swim by watching an otter.
I don't remember what Christian is doing here, but it's a cool picture :)
This bighorn sheep was posing for us, so I had to take a picture of it.
Taking a break at the tortoise exhibit.
Doesn't he look like a tortoise?

Inside the bird exhibit. We saw some cool birds, but don't know the names of most of them.

Next was the hummingbirds. I love hummingbirds and so does Mom. It helps that we see hummingbirds in our yards...but I don't have any nests yet and Mom does :(

Eating lunch at the car since there are no picnic tables around the entrance. We didn't want to drive to the picnic tables....we would have lost our great parking space.
After lunch we went to see the Birds of Prey Flight. Dad decided to wait at the entrance since it was a walk to where the flight was going to be. These hawks were amazing. They flew two feet above our heads. (The announcer had asked us not to put our hands up or place our children on our shoulders...now we know why.)
Four hawks ended up flying above us. I got this fabulous picture just as one of them left its perch.

After we left the Sonoran Desert Museum, we went to Gammy's grave. Mom wanted to get some pictures of her parents' graves. Then the long drive home. And guess what??? I got lobster red sunburned...and I had sunscreen on this time. I should know - I always get sunburned :(

Read the next post to hear about the Civil War Reinactment!

No comments: