Saturday, November 15, 2008

Sleep Test

Last night I had my sleep test. Talk about an experience! Once I get there and answer a bunch of questions (in my nightgown no less), I then get hooked up everwhere. They put sensors on my legs and chest. But the really fun place is all over my face and hair. And then they tape the wires down. I also got two sensors in/around my nose -- one to test the air pressure and the other to test the air temperature. Finally, the REALLY fun part. I move to the bed and try to lay down on it with all the wires and not get tripped up.

I read for about 15 minutes and then tried to sleep. It seemed like I just couldn't get to sleep. They asked that I sleep on my back since the apenas are stronger then. I don't like sleeping on my back :( Finally I turn to my side and try -- that doesn't work so I go back to laying on my back. After several of this back and forth and I know it has been a while, the technician comes in. When I said hello he told me that I had sleep apena and he processed to hook me up to a CPAP machine. I found out it was already 12:30.

A hose is connected to the machine and a nose mask. The mask goes over my nose and I am told to breathe only through my nose. Talk about panic! It felt a little like it does when I put my mask on to scuba dive. I knew this was going to be difficult. Sure enough, I start to cough and find it hard to breathe. I had to take deep breathes and calm down. Then I could breathe better and fell asleep. Next thing I remember the technician was waking my up again and it was 7:00. It turns out that I was waking up about every 45 seconds. No wonder it seemed like I never went to sleep.

Now I just have to wait to talk to the doctor on the 1st and then maybe all this tiredness will start to go away. I am just soooo happy to finally know what has caused my extreme tiredness for the last year or so.

1 comment:

Julie said...

Tanya, that is so wonderful that they finally can help you. My dad and sister had to use those machines and they LOVED how well they slept. Yeah! Congratulations!!!!!